December is here, December is here! It’s time to start spreading Christmas cheer in your community! If you haven’t already heard about Light ‘EM Up, you can get all the details here.
I thought I would share a few of the ideas I’ve come up with to help keep my focus on giving this year. Remember, you don’t have to spend a lot of money to participate in this! A hand-written note might be a wonderful blessing to someone in your life. In my opinion, more people need to take time to send cards and letters. 🙂 It’s the best feeling to see a brightly colored envelope tucked between the bills in your mailbox.
John and I picked up a few sponsor packets at church yesterday to provide gifts to children in foster care this Christmas. There are thousands of children in foster care in Oklahoma (and all over the country). The gift these children receive is a glimmer of hope, it’s a symbol that someone cares about them and that they aren’t forgotten. If you live in Oklahoma and would like to make Christmas morning a little brighter for a foster child, you can buy new toys and drop them off at any LifeChurch location or Oklahoma Employees Credit Union locations.
For more information about OK Foster Wishes, you can visit their website here.
Please feel free to use any of my ideas and please share any ideas that you have in the comments below. I would love to hear what other creative ideas are floating around.
This year I will:
- Send a handwritten letter and a gift (with a very specific meaning) to a friend who recently became a widow.
- Take snacks and a thank you card to our local Ronald McDonald House.
- Take a Christmas wreath to the grave of one very, special little girl. It’s not red or green, but it’s exactly what Anna Jane would have liked.
- Call a family member who I don’t talk to often enough.
- Deliver Christmas treats and thank you cards to the staff at our local homeless shelter and adoption agency.
- Keep candy canes in my purse with Light ‘Em Up tags attached to them to pass out when I am out and about this season.
- Sponsor two angels at our church.
These are just a few of my ideas. I am still trying to get creative and think of other things I can do to be a blessing to others this Christmas.
How will you bless others? How has someone blessed you unexpectedly during the holidays?